Monday, January 16, 2012

Imitation = Flattery?

It's been a while since I've done an Inspiration = Flattery post.  Sadly for me, I just haven't had the time to browse so I'm probably woefully out of touch with the latest designs, designer or mass.

But when I was excitedly checking out the new Rachel Antonoff x Bass collection, I stopped dead at the multi-color Maebird clear oxfords.  And not just because of their colorful style.



Nope, it was because they totally looked like the Ground Zero x Alex & Rose clear brogues I almost bought last year.


The colors on the RAxB ones are a bit toned down and simplified but the inspiration is there, I think.  I love the sweetly quirky pieces in the Bass/Antonoff collection but now they're a bit sullied for me.

What do you think?

3 comments:

Vyque said...

ooo, those are really similar... I can believe it was a subconscious inspiration though. Possibly..

Broke & Beautiful said...

Those are definitely similar concepts! For me, they fit ito me "30% or less" rule, which translates to: if the shoe is 30% (or less) identical to the original shoes, I consider it "inspired by" and I'm comfortable with that. 30% or MORE identical, it's considered a "knockoff" and I will absolutely not buy it.

With this shoe, I feel like they both use bright colors and vinyl (or whatever that material is) but the shape, colors, and overall style is different enough for me to prefer the Rachel Antonoff version better. :P

-Lindsay

Mary said...

THE SECOND ARE GREAT!!!!



MUCH LOVE FROM ITALY
Maria Onorio
www.thelastillusion.blogspot.com