Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Taking a Concept Too Far

It's the end of January, so you know that means it's obviously time to look at lovely, airy, delicate Spring shoes. This year there are a few creations that have caught my eye but one in particular I want to discuss... the Prada Spring 2012 RTW 1950s car inspired sandals. 

Now, we know Miuccia loves a good "themed" heel (and so do I says the girl with the Miu Miu red teacup heels as her icon), but while some of the shoes in the past - dragonflies, candlesticks, flowers - have worked well transformed into shoes, I just don't think these are working for me. 

I do actually love the design of the heels.  I love the sweet toe strap and embellishment, the colors shown and the flame strap.  What takes it just that much too far is the addition of the Grease-esque tail lights on the heel.  I think its that the whimsy of small inspirations or details of larger icons work but try to pull down something big, like a car, and it looks ridiculous.


So, while I won't be buying the Prada, the family will still get my money because I'm totally smitten with the looks from Miu Miu's Resort collection.  Prada has the era's automotive icons but Miu Miu took the fashion... and turned it upside down.  The hemlines are shorter but the patterns are there.  The cardigans, pearls and frame bags echo the era in a fresh way.


But my eyes are all on the bow-bedecked gingham slingbacks.  I'm loving them so much I'm trying for two colors.  The fuchsia...




and the green...


The blue is lovely too and I saw an orange pair on the runway that I loved.  Hmmm.. would 4 pairs be too many???

I have my eyes on a scenic landscape patterned dress I need to get to pair with these.  Then I'll add a contrasting color cardigan and a wicker vintage purse.  Time for these pre-orders to come in and Spring to hurry up!

5 comments:

Faith J. said...

Yeah, I really don't like those hotrod heels. They may look good in a magazine editorial, but they are just ridiculous!

Ash @ Ash in Fashion said...

Crazily, I think I'd rather have the hot rod inspired shoes!

HEATHER said...

As a gal who LOVES all things classic automobiles and all Italian shoes those hot rod inspired shoes are perfect for me except for the too tall heel. My back will not allow me to wear those. Although I suppose I could buy them just to display.
BTW-LOVE your Hello Kitty bowling ball!!

Anonymous said...

I like the hot rod shoe but they're too expensive for my budget!! The ginghams are lovely! I'm going to have to do some searching to get a look at the orange...

Frances

TheShoeGirl said...

OH NO! haha I looooove the hotrod shoes <3 Probably because they are pieces of art more than because I would actually wear them...